The Emmaus Conference 2019
April 17, 2018
Click the picture below to download a PDF poster.
The 12th annual Emmaus Conference will be held May 4th, 2019. The topic selected for the 2019 conference is “The Divine Service: Our Life in Christ”. The conference speakers will include:
- Rev. Dr. Richard Stuckwisch (LCMS) – The Historical Perspective – How has the Divine Service confessed and preserved our life in Christ?
- Rev. Donald Moldstad (ELS) – The Practical Perspective – How might we grow in our life in Christ through the Divine Service?
- Rev. James Frey (WELS) – A Current Perspective – How does the Divine Service still keep our life in Christ in the Lutheran Church today?
The 2018 Emmaus Conference
April 28, 2017
The 11th annual Emmaus Conference will be held April 13, 2018. The topic selected for the 2018 conference is “Singing the Faith into the Hearts of the People”. The conference speakers will include:
- Rev. Dr. Jon Vieker (LCMS) – The Core Chorale Hymns
- Rev. Prof. Dennis Marzolf (ELS) – The Scandinavian Tradition
- Rev. Michael Schultz (WELS) – The WELS New Hymnal Project
The Tenth Annual Emmaus Conference
December 20, 2016
The 10th Annual Emmaus Conference is Friday, April 28th, 2017, with a banquet the evening prior on Thursday, April 27th. The topic for the 2017 Emmaus Conference will be: “The Unsuspecting American Luthers”. The backgrounds, challenges, and impact of several Lutheran theologians in the 20th Century will be explored and discussed.
2016 Emmaus Topic & Speakers
December 26, 2015
The 2016 topic for the Emmaus Conference is entitled, “Are We Experiencing the Lutheran Reformation Eve or Twilight?” We are excited to have the Rev. Dr. Lawrence Rast, Jr. from Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Indiana, as our lecturer.
Dr. Lawrence Rast serves as the sixteenth president of Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne and is a professor of American Christianity and American Lutheranism. Dr. Rast joined the Department of Historical Theology in the fall of 1996 after serving as pastor of Ascension Lutheran Church, Madison, Tennessee (1992-96).
The following speakers will give the lecture and reactions.
2016 Emmaus Conference Speakers:
- Lecturer: The Rev. Dr. Lawrence Rast (LC-MS)
- Reactor: The Rev. Pres. Paul Wendland (WELS)
- Reactor: The Rev. Prof. Erling Teigen (ELS)
Our Righteousness before God
December 23, 2015
The theme of the 2015 Emmaus Conference proved a timely topic. “Our Righteousness Before God…Is Revealed in the Gospel. On this Righteousness Faith Relies.”
The lecture was given by the Reverend David Jay Webber in two parts.
- Part I: Why Objective Justification Mattered to the Reformers
- Part II: Why Objective Justification Matters to Us
The title is a direct quotation from FC SD III:57. Part I dealt with the patristic evidence and with the issues of the Reformation. Part II dealt with the issues of the Synodical Conference conflict with synergists and pietists, and with today’s issues.
Objective justification is important in counteracting the postmodern assumption that there is no objective truth either behind, or in, the message of Christ.
A paper on Objective Justification, presented by Rev. Jon Buchholz to the WELS Arizona/California District, can be downloaded here!